ALI M5451 sound controller - strange behaviour

Julian St. der_julian at web.de
Sun Jan 11 16:03:03 PST 2004

Hello,

I have obtained a laptop with ALI M5451 sound chip (at least it is detected as such, the web page describing this laptop says CMedia 9739A) which exhibits strange behavior:

If starting to play, say, an MP3 in XMMS, the sound is really quite and hissing. If I seek one time, the sound is loud, clear and stays clear. But volume control is not working. Setting pcm to 0:0 turns sound off, but everything else just does nothing. The actual sound keeps its volume.

I am running FreeBSD 5.2RC2 (I will upgrade to -CURRENT during this night) on a Transmeta TM5800. Linux (2.6.1rc) has the problem with volume control, too.

I can supply every information that might be needed to resolve this.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Signed and encrypted mail welcome.
Key-Server: pgp.mit.edu         Key-ID: 0xD65B2AB5
FA38 DCD3 00EC 97B8 6DD8  D7CC 35D8 8D0E D65B 2AB5

Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program
contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden
 - Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming