Open-motif installation

raver raver at hosting.sytes.net
Fri Jan 9 14:28:25 PST 2004

On 01/09/04 18:55:09, Doug White wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, raver wrote:
>
> > Hi mates!
> > Since one month ago is being impossible to install open-motif.
> Every
> > time I tried it I got the same error:
> >
> > ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for open-motif-2.2.2_1
> > sed: /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif/work/openmotif-2.2.2/doc/
> man/
> > man3/
> > XmPrintSetup.3: Too many open files
>
> You seem to be hitting the # of files resource limit.  While this is
> running do 'sysctl kern.openfiles' and see if it is getting close to
> the
> value of 'sysctl kern.maxfiles'.  If it is then you need to increase
> kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc.

I checked kern.maxfilesperproc and its value is 324 by default, so I
increase it up to 20000, the same value as kern.maxfiles.

# sysctl -a kern | grep files
kern.maxfiles: 20000
kern.maxfilesperproc: 20000
kern.openfiles: 225

Then I install open-motif showing the value of kern.openfiles during
the process. That value never got further than 600 but I

# while ( 1 )
while? sysctl kern.openfiles && sleep 2
while? end
kern.openfiles: 224