5.2 RC2 DHCP/resolv.conf install problem

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jan 8 13:42:44 PST 2004

> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:46:17 -0500
> From: Scott Lambert <lambert at lambertfam.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
>
> I've had this happen a couple of times over the past mumble months.  But
> I don't install 5.x often enough and thought I was just seeing a fluke
> in the way my system installed.  Seeing it for third time is just too
> many flukes.
>
> Last night I installed 5.2 RC2 on my shiny new Compaq Presario 2195US.
> When it rebooted the first time, DHCP gave me my IP address and default
> route but resolv.conf did not exist.  To fix, I touched /etc/resolv.conf
> and restarted dhclient.
>
> My DHCP server is a Linksys WAP/Router/4-port switch, but I don't think
> the DHCP server is material to the issue.

I was seeing the same thing last November when I was traveling. It only
happened in my hotel room on the broadband connection.

My suspicion is that the DHCP server is not providing a DNS server and
that it is simply deleting the resolv.conf instead of leaving the
existing one.

You might want to try doing a capture of traffic to the bootps port on
your system and see if that is what is happening.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)