Problems PXE installing 5.X on RLX Blade

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jan 8 12:07:26 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:43:16PM -0600, Brian Towles wrote:
> I'm trying to get 5.2RC2 to install via PXE on an RLX 633 Blade.
> I keep getting to the point where the kernel loads, it looks like its
> starting to load modules and then hangs. I get no kernel outout except
> spinners
>
> Ive tried removing acpi and it just hangs as well   no dump or output
> visible telling me whats happening.
>
> Its like its not finding or able to load the next module in the chain
> but i cant tell what it is.
>
> Ive been able to get 4.X to install fine...  but have have not gotten
> past this point with any of the 5.X stuff.

I suspect the attempt to use the mfs image is your problem.  All the mfs
stuff in the PXE article is unnecessicary.

You can directly boot a standard install disk by pointing tftp at
the cdrom mount point and exporting the cdrom vis nfs.  Then set
filename to "boot/pxeboot" in dhcpd.conf and option root-path to
"server:/cdrom_mount_point"

Otherwise, the options are the same.

You may need to choose nfs as your media and manually enter the server,
but I'm not 100% sure that's required with the new CD boot code.

-- Brooks