FreeBSD Crashes with AMD

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Wed Jan 7 16:20:44 PST 2004

Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>On Thursday 08 January 2004 09:53, David O'Brien wrote:
>

>>>or so ago was very reasonably priced at the time and performs well.  My
>>>suspicion is that the recent lack of ECC support may be due to AMD
>>>wanting to move "serious" users over to their new 64 bit architecture.
>>>

>>No, the problem is AMD isn't updating the 761 chipset to do 333 or 400
>>FSB -- thus few want to use that chip set today.  AMD is not presureing
>>VIA, ALI, nVidia, etc... to not produce ECC supporting motherboards.
>>

>Double negative? :)
>
>It certainly irritates the crap out of me that you can't seem to buy an ECC
>board that will fit a modern Athlon in it :(

I'm pretty sure the current line from Tyan does.  I've got an S2466
which isn't the most current (266 MHz FSB, although the FSB ratings are
truly misleading IMHO) which supports up to Athlon MP 2800+ CPUs SMP, or
single Athlon XPs, with a gig of ECC RAM in it as we speak.  I haven't
been completely thrilled with Tyan, primarily due to their pretty
limited BIOS and seeming incinations to not release many updates for
their boards, but it works well enough....I'm sure the 'replacement' to
the 2466 will continue to handle ECC any any decent server board will
(even if for some reason the 2466 doesn't have onboard SCSI :-( )

Scott