FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT on HP Omnibook 6000 - ACPI problem

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:58:09 PST 2004

>From: Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>
>
>When ACPI is running, the BIOS no longer runs things like the eject
>button.  Since we haven't implemented eject support yet, it does nothing
>if ACPI is running.  Either wait for eject support, which will be a while,
>or disable acpi.

I can wait - the benefits of ACPI more than make up for such a minor
problem.

>sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE

Ah, ta.

> > thermal: Because sometimes a wild temperature is reported, causing a
> > poweroff.  Certainly I doubt the values reported (over 200 C) when this
> > occurs
>
>I don't see how this is possible since the code to do this is commented
>out.  Is there any console message printed before it powers off?  It may
>be the BIOS that does this if it's just a power off (no nice shutdown).

Well, it's been a while since I last saw this happen - I've had it disabled
for some time now (since ACPI started working on the laptop in fact).  There
was the standard ACPI message printed, with a message about thermal, just
before the poweroff so I'm confident it's not the BIOS.

Re-enabling thermal support didn't cause a poweroff last thing yesterday in
the hour or so before I left work.  Before it rarely ran for more than 15
minutes before a spurious reading caused a poweroff.

>Since the above code is commented out, you can just use /etc/devd.conf to
>look for Thermal events of type 0x80 and then call a script that evaluates
>sysctl hw.acpi.tz0.temperature and then call halt -p if it exceeds some
>value.  We pipe many ACPI events to usermode through devd(8).

I'll have a look at that - thanks.  Out of curiosity, what's the number
reported there actually mean?  Yesterday my laptop was reporting numbers of
around 3350 there, so I'm guessing it's not a literal value in any scale I'm
familiar with.

--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?