Zoom PC Card 56K/Intel PRO/100 PC Card

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Tue Jan 6 14:11:01 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20040106093852.O78161-100000 at moo.sysabend.org>
>             Jamie Bowden <ragnar at sysabend.org> writes:
> : First, the Intel card:
> : xe0 doesn't start upon insertion for some reason.
> : If I kldload if_xe.ko by hand first, then the driver attaches properly.
> : I'm guessing adding 'device xe' to my kernel config would take care of
> : this, but I would think that should be unecessary.
>
> You are correct.  We don't have the automatic dynamic loading on card
> insert feature working yet.  You can write a devd.conf rule for it, if
> you like, but that's still a change.

It's easier to just add the device to the kernel config or load it from
loader.conf.local and be done with it.  I'm just glad that what I'm seeing
is what I should see, according to you, and not something unique to my
system.

> : So all's mostly well there.  After an eject, the machine locked up on me
> : once, but I can't seem to replicate it.  This is good; xe is now newcard.

> That's a little odd.  I've only seen this sort of behavior on one of
> my laptops.  It has a Ricoh 5c475 in it.  But it will freeze on insert
> too...

It was just once, so for now I'm ignoring it.

> : start (40000000) < sc->membase (f6000000)
> : end (ffffffff) > sc->memlimit (fbffffff)
>
> Ignore this.

I figured this was normal, since the xe card does the same thing, but I
wanted to be thorough and give you all output to the console.

> : CIS is too long -- truncating
> : pccard0: Card has no functions!
> : cbb0: PC Card card activation failed

> Sadly, I have about 5 cards that do this, for reasons I've not been able
> to track down. :-(.  What looks like is going on is that the CIS isn't
> being mapped correctly.

Lemme guess, they're all 16bit PC Cards needing ISA attachments?  Don't
strain yourself too much over it, I don't need to use a dialin connection
very often (but unfortunately when I do, nothing else will do).  It
hasn't been an issue to date and I dual boot WinXP, so while it may not be
optimal, I have a working solution.

> : Having xe working is nice, but since bge works with the onboard
> : controller, it's not strictly necessary.  The onboard PCTel softmodem is
> : another story.  Does anyone else have one of these, and have they managed
> : to make it work under 5.x?

> Can't help you on the soft modem.

See my reply to me; I was unclear in the above statement.  I'm not
terribly interested in the soft modem (which I was confusing with my old
laptop, this one is Conexant not PCTel), but if anyone had gotten a Zoom
PC Card (2975L) going, I'd be very interested in how they had accomplished
it.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"