some HTT questions

Ryan Sommers ryans at gamersimpact.com
Tue Jan 6 07:20:36 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 08:52, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on my first P4 ever.
> I'm planning a colo production machine with FreeBSD 5.2 (RC2 atm).
> The info of dmesg about the CPU shows:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2394.13-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf27  Stepping = 7
>   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>
> So I think this CPU should be HyperThreading capable which gets hardened by
> those lines:
>
> 	acpi_cpu0: <CPU> on acpi0
> 	acpi_cpu1: <CPU> on acpi0
>
> But the next line gives my an error about CPU1:
>
> 	device_probe_and_attach: acpi_cpu1 attach returned 6
>
> This line shows up a second time between probing of sio and nxp0.
>
> Ny my guess was that HTT should be enabled in the BIOS but the BIOS has no
> entry about HTT.
>
> How can I use HTT and are my assumptions correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Harry

Two things: Are you sure your motherboard supports HTT? I imagine
without BIOS support for HTT having an HTT capable processor and
operating system do no good. When you boot the BIOS POST screen will
usually give some indication that HTT is enabled.

Second. From the looks of your dmesg you have a 2.4ghz P4. If I remember
correctly the 2.4ghz was the interim model where some had HTT and some
didn't.

--
Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
Gamer's Impact President