KDE stopped working after -current upgrade

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Sun Jan 4 22:34:45 PST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> I had KDE running nicely since November on my dual PII. After rebuilding
> -current on Saturday, I can not login -- seems like the window manager
> is crashing:
>
> 	pid 52040 (kdeinit), uid 105: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
>
> The only unusual thing is -- PTHREAD_LIBS is set to -lthr... I tried
> rebuilding Qt, kdelibs, and kdebase -- still the same.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!

Ports are not yet ready for switching PTHREAD_LIBS to something
other than -lc_r.  But don't let this stop you from trying
to figure out which ports are getting confused and fixing
them :-)  For 5.3 we'll need to solve this since libkse^H^H^Hpthread
will be the default.

FYI, the problem is that some ports have configure/libtools
that autodetect -lc_r and/or -pthread.  So you may set
PTHREAD_LIBS to -lthr (or -lkse), but you'll end up linking
to both -lthr and -lc_r.  Use ldd on the libraries/binaries
and you'll see what I mean.