Sound blaster live and onboard sound

Kaarthik Sivakumar kaarthik at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 10:12:08 PST 2004

On Sat January 3 2004 10:26 am, Claude Buisson wrote:
> Kaarthik Sivakumar wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > [...]
>
> Your card is a Dell-specific SoundBlaster Live! CT0200. Note:
>  > none3 at pci1:6:0:	class=0x040100 card=0x10031102 chip=0x00061102
>
>                                                                ^^^^^^^^
>                                                     instead of 00021102
>
>  >     vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
>  >     device   = 'emu10k1x Soundblaster Live! 5.1'
>
>                    ^^^^^^^^
>
>  >     class    = multimedia
>  >     subclass = audio
>  >
>  >
>  > none4 at pci1:6:1:	class=0x098000 card=0x10031102 chip=0x70041102
>
>                                                                ^^^^^^^^
>                                                     instead of 70021102
>
>  >     vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
>  >     device   = 'SBLive! Value Gameport'
>
>                            ^^^^^
>
>  >     class    = input device
>
> which is NOT an emu10k1. Dell says it has a "software accelerated" DSP,
> needing a special driver à la Winmodem...

I have never heard of such a thing until now. I thought that SB Live! would be
the same everywhere and got it. So if I were to get a SB Live! from a store,
is there anything specific I have to look out for on the shrink-wrap to
distinguish the hardware and software accelerated stuff? The regular SB Live!
claims the emu10k1 chip as does this. Or does the 'x' after emu10k1 make the
difference?

> The only known (to me) working driver for this card is the non free OSS
> driver from 4Front. I tried it, but found it simpler to buy a real Sound
> Blaster Live!

Yeah, I think I will stick to getting a real SBLive! myself. Until then I am
going to experiment with the onboard sound to see how that works.

Thanks

kaarthik