ATI Radeon 9700 Pro DRM/DRI?

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Fri Jan 2 18:34:45 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 17:57, Doug Barton wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:

> >>So the 9500 works, but everything after that is not supported? Is that
> >>true with XFree 4.4 as well?
> >

> > No, that was supposed to be "everything 9500 and above."  Sorry.
>
> Argh. So, what's the last ATI card that has open-source 3d support? I'm
> going to be looking for a new system soon, and it sounds like nvidia is
> going to be my only option.

At the consumer level, the Radeon 8500 is the fastest thing out there
with open-source 3d support.  I use an 8500LE on my desktop.  Driver
quality is OK currently, and work is still going on on the Radeon
drivers.  The FireGL 8700 and 8800 are the same chipset but faster and
significantly more expensive.  The 9000-9200 are cut-down 8500s, despite
having larger model numbers.

>From what I understand, ATI is not opposed to producing FreeBSD drivers
(which would then support the 9500+), but hasn't had anyone on FreeBSD's
end working on it.  I don't have any motivation to work on them myself
when there's so much to be done on open source driver support.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org