CURRENT as of today won't let me login via ssh, MySQL crashes

Gabriel Ambuehl gaml at buz.ch
Sun Feb 22 03:13:04 PST 2004

Hi Gabriel Ambuehl,
you wrote.

MR>> non-PAM password authentication is now disabled by default. You probably
MR>> installed a new sshd_config during mergemaster. Change
MR>> #PasswordAuthentication no

MR>> in
MR>> PasswordAuthentication yes

MR>> and do a /etc/rc.d/sshd restart.

GA> Well that box has got config files from the 5.2.1RC2 ISO, so quite
GA> recent, and no changes aside of rc.conf to get it to fit into the LAN.

GA> I'll give a shot at cvsupping again, now.

The problem persists, but adding
PasswordAuthentication yes
helps.

However, if this is a system user, then why won't PAM pick it up
automatically? And why will the box let me login with
ssh user at localhost

Seems like this just waits to bite people's asses (the box in question
stands 1m beside me, but I don't want to imagine what would happen if
it were on another continent...).

Regards,
Gabriel