PCI SIO devices hog interrupts, cause lock order problems

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Aug 30 21:32:32 PDT 2004

In message: <56850.1093894370 at critter.freebsd.dk>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: In message <20040830192316.6B6CD12351 at shub-internet.kew.com>, Drew Derbyshire w
: rites:
:
: >> puc should be in GENERIC, imho.
:
: I agree.
:
: >Who makes the call (or the commit)?  The cost is ~ 55K on disk
: >(which seems excessive) with current build, I assume that's bloated
: >by the current kernel options.
:
: This could be vastly improved if the data structure puc uses were
: more intelligent.  Man cards could be described simply by their
: PCI ID and "fill resource #1 with sio ports" rather than the very
: space consuming and errorprone stuff we do now.

The stuff we do now is trying to be too smart.  Most single port cards
are like phk says, but multiport is where things really go wonkies...

Warner