PLEASE TEST: IPI deadlock avoidance patch

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 23 04:13:07 PDT 2004

On 2004.08.22 12:05:39 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> If you have a reasonably fast i386 or amd64 multiprocessor and/or
> hyperthreading machine and are experiencing reproducible hangs during -j
> buildwords and other highly parallel operations, please try this patch:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/smp_rv_mtx.patch

With stock CURRENT my Dual XEON test system has hung most of the time
when I did a parallel buildworld.  Since I applied this patch last
night the system has completed 12 -j100 buildworlds, and it's still
going on, without any problems :-).

Thanks to all the people who have worked on this problem! :-)

BTW. these tests were with the 4BSD scheduler, I'm going to try to
switch to ULE soon and se how that works out.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team