Spurious EACCES errors from apache

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Aug 13 23:35:45 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 04:54:34PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Since a recent world+kernel update, apache is frequently reporting
> errors like:
>
> [Fri Aug 13 23:29:19 2004] [error] [client 216.136.204.42] (13)Permission denied: access to /errorlogs/i386-4-packages-latest/All/pkgconfig-0.15.0_1.tgz failed because search permissions are missing on a component of the path
>
> There is nothing wrong with the permissions of that path, and
> refetching the same file will usually succeed.
>
> Did someone break something in the kernel, perhaps some recent VM
> changes?

With help from rwatson we tracked it down to bsdtar, which seems to be
setting and resetting permissions on every path component when
extracting a tarball.  This is bad when some of those directories
already exist, because other processes trying to access files in the
directory hierarchy may lose the race and fail.

Kris