Shared object "libintl.so.4" not found

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Sep 13 01:19:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:26:03PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > Please don't give bogus advice.  The solution is to update everything
> > that depends upon gettext, e.g. by using portupgrade.
> >
> > Kris
>
> Maybe, but this bit me and the solution was to re-build gmake.

Like I said, the solution is to update everything that depends upon
gettext (which includes gmake).

> The
> changes in what routines are in libc cause this problem.

I can't quite parse this, but the problem we're discussing has nothing
whatsoever to do with libc.  It's just a run-of-the-mill port update
where a library major version was bumped.  Obviously, if you remove
the old library version while other software still expects to find it,
that software will not be able to run.

Kris