5.1-CURRENT rebooting (multile systems) -- How to troubleshoot?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Oct 19 09:08:11 PDT 2003

Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Tom Parquette wrote:
>
>>My question is, if the system fails (I'm assuming these are panics) how
>>do I get the machine to NOT automatically reboot so I can copy down the
>>failure information?  (Unless these are logged somewhere I have not
>>found yet.)
>
> Try hooking up a serial console and logging a system run with "boot -v",
> overnight. Make sure that you have all of the kernel debug options in
> GENERIC in your kernel as they will provide insight that can help trace
> the problem.

Additionally, set your kernel up for debugging.  This will allow you to
get a great deal of information after a crash.  This section of the
developer's handbook will talk you through it:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies