/bin/sh terminated abnormally

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Oct 2 17:58:11 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:38:23PM -0700, Didier wrote:
> >From that message I had to type the full path  " /bin/tcsh " then Enter
>
> I got the prompt the ran the following commands
>
> # /sbin/mount -u /
> #/sbin/mount -a -t ufs
> #/sbin/swapon -a
>
> cd src/sys/boot && make install
>
> the I got this other error message
>
> ***Signal 12
>
> Stop in /us/src/sys/boot
>
> pid 6 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)

Yes, since you have run installworld you have now installed a 5.x
/bin/sh binary, which cannot run on the 4.x kernel you are running.
The solution is to first boot into the 5.x kernel found at
/boot/kernel/kernel instead of letting your 4.x loader load the old
4.x kernel from the old default location.

Kris