acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 8 02:49:05 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:15:07PM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Josef Karthauser wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > I've been getting a lot of this kind of error from my cdrom drive on a
> > variety of disks recently:
> >
> >     acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=ILLEGAL REQUEST error=1<ILLEGAL_LENGTH>
> >     acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=ILLEGAL REQUEST error=1<ILLEGAL_LENGTH>
> >     acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=MEDIUM ERROR error=0
> >
> > Is this a bug in the new atapi code or an indication of a hardware fault
> > that's just developed?
>
> Acutally its fallout from the hacs I had to put into atapi-cd.c to
> work around deficiencies in GEOM. I might have a better way now, but
> it needs more testing.

Ah, ok.  So it's not a hardware problem.  That's good to know.

Joe

p.s. are there any plans to fix power cycling of ide harddrives
with an acpi suspend?  I can get my machine to suspend, but the power
runs down because the hard drive is still spinning.

--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/