whats an UDMA ICRC error ?

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 3 14:51:09 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 01:23:35AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 03), Andreas Klemm said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my console today shows the following error message from my disk:
> >
> > ad2: UDMA ICRC error cmd=read fsbn 74689079 of 74689079-74689206 retrying
> > ad2: UDMA ICRC error cmd=read fsbn 74689079 of 74689079-74689206 retrying
> >
> > What exactly does an UDMA ICRC error mean ?
> > I think this is simply a read error.
> > AFAIK an IDE disk doesn't have spare sectors or am I wrong ?
> > How severe is this error ? What do you think ??
>
> An ICRC error is an error detected by the IDE controller.  It usually
> means a cabling problem, as a disk error would be reported by the
> drive, not the controller.  From the ATA spec:
>
>   ICRC shall be set to one if an interface CRC error has occurred
>   during an Ultra DMA data transfer.  The content of this bit is not
>   applicable for Multiword DMA transfers.
>
> There are other error bits that indicate uncorrectable media errors.
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does this mean, that data corruption occurred ??

Strange. Didn't touch the hardware since months...

One idea, the cables have been very short and have been
a little bit under tension after installation. Maybe this
is the result now, that I have problems with the cables or
contacts ....

Thanks for the info, will check cabling.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/