device driver memory leak in 5.1-20030726?

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Sun Jul 27 07:44:10 PDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Mark Blackman wrote:

> Perhaps it's a USB bug. There seems to be some correspondence between
> the use of the USB Speedtouch ADSL modem and the out-of-control
> devbuf allocations.

I'm too seeing these annoying kmem_malloc panics on recent -current
kernels. The laptop I'm using is way off of being overloaded at all, the
only thing I do is going online using a Bluetooth USB dongle. As soon as I
generate some network traffic, devbuf allocations go up, until at some
point the machine panics randomly in kmem_malloc.

I have different core dumps and backtraces available, but they don't seem
to be of much use in this case. I really suspect the USB stuff to be
leaking.

regards,
le

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Vienna University Computer Center      Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
University of Vienna                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/