Buildworld fails in 5.1

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Jul 20 21:34:25 PDT 2003

At 9:48 PM -0400 7/20/03, Matt Loschert wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>  > Crunchgen writes out and runs a short makefile
>>  in order to grab build information from a particular
>>  program.  Since /rescue has about 120 components,
>>  you should see 'crunchgen_objs' and 'loop' targets
>>  getting built about 120 times.
>>
>>  Ummm... by '363 times', did you mean 363 lines or
>>  363 copies of this six-line block?  If the latter,
>>  then something is definitely getting rebuilt
>>  needlessly.
>
>That whole block of 6 lines is getting written 363 times.
>IIRC, I grepped for 'Results of making crunchgen_objs'
>in the build logs.

The failure that I am seeing is different than the above
failure.  I have a dual-CPU system, and have done buildworlds
with -j5, -j4, and -j3.  All of them fail with an error
somewhere in 'rescue' building.  None of them have *any*
lines about 'Results of making crunchgen_objs'.  There is
some make-related error messages in the midst of building
rescue, and then more standard 'cc' commands unrelated to
rescue (which worked), and then buildworld fails.

Well, the -j2 build also just finished with an error.
The logfiles I keep are in the directory:
     ~gad/rescueb
on freefall.freebsd, as gzip'ed files.  The output is
altered a little bit due to a script that I use to keep
track of warning and error messages, but it is not altered
much.  The most notable difference is that at the end of
the build it gives a summary of the # of warning messages
that were generated.

It may also be significant that I started out all of
these buildworlds by first:  rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/*
so buildworld would have had to build *everything*.

I do know that buildworld finishes OK if I define NORESCUE.
Right now I am running a buildworld that does not specify -j,
and I'll see if that completes OK.  However, I have to leave
for home now, so I'll have to finish that when I get back in
on Monday.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu