Keyboard not working with XFree86

Daniel Lang dl at leo.org
Fri Jul 18 06:28:08 PDT 2003

Hi Again,

Daniel Lang wrote on Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 05:16:23PM +0200:
[..]
> I've recently upgraded my Notebook to 5.1-CURRENT.
> One of the main problems I ran into, is, that the
> keyboard is not working when using X.
[..]
> If I start up X, I cannot put in any key. The mouse works
> fine, though. I have to remote log into the box and kill
> xdm to get rid of the problem.
>
> The keyboard works perfectly on the console.
[..]

I could solve the problem. First to complete the symptoms:

 - Keyboard works on the console
 - Keyboard does not work using X
   (regardless of using 'xdm' oder 'startx')
 - ZapServer (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) DOES work.

This lead my investigation to a problem with the keymap,
but the real cause turned out to be utterly obscure.

The XKeysymDB file was missing! (And as I found out later, the XErrorDB
file, as well).

But, it was listed in the +CONTENTS file of the XFree86-libraries
port. So apprently it has been installed? But maybe was removed
by something else? I certainly did not remove these files.

I could solve the problem easily by copying the files back into
place, and I cannot rule out, that the files have been lost
due to my fault. If any of the XFree port maintainers
are aware of fiddling with XKeysymDB or the like, maybe there is
indeed a problem.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock
   - In dieser Mail ist ein Geist, der Dich in den Hintern beisst -