Annoucning DragonFly BSD!

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Fri Jul 18 05:48:14 PDT 2003

Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= wrote:
> To: "Julian Stacey" <jhs at berklix.org>
> Cc: current at freebsd.org, Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:48:17 +0200
>
> Idiot.
>
> $ whois dragonflybsd.org
> [...]
> Registrant:
>    Matthew Dillon

Dag, Do not post personal abuse to the list !

I already covered whois, the day before:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:14:05 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Julian Stacey <jhs at berklix.org>
>
> whois dragonflybsd.org
>         Created on: 14-JUL-03
>         .... Whois Server:whois.dotster.com
>         ... www.dotster.com/help/whois
>         .... 1 page didnt respond, 1 wanted a login & password !
> Hmm, typing this command a second time I nopw see extra info:
> Registrant:
>    Matthew Dillon
>    41 Vicente Rd
> I've a feeeling I didnt get that first time. ?

whois didn't give me human traceable info first time, (maybe servers were
reconfiguring, or there was a net problem, then I couldnt get any human info
re. domain from other tools, just just the dotster block.

Thanks to those who told me of `host` command (I'd only used
`nslookup`, `whois` & http://www.dnsreport.com, (& hadn't used `dig`)).

Thanks to those who confirmed Matthew Dillon's announcement is real.

Matthew,
OK, you want a divergent kernel, EG src/sys/ ,  fair enough.

  - Are there any benefits to the BSD community in having
    a 4th BSD bin/ sbin/ usr.bin/ usr.sbin/ ?
    Can you not share & co-operate with toolset maintainers of NetBSD
    or OpenBSD, even if you can't work with some FreeBSD CVS people ?
  - Do you intend your own ports/ collection too ? (or  Free, Net or Open ?)

-
Julian Stacey       Freelance Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
  Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !   Schnupftabak probieren.