Annoucning DragonFly BSD!

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Thu Jul 17 08:14:40 PDT 2003

I wrote
> My guess is the original post was a fake masquerade, (what some call a
> troll), the web site is probably the same.  (Apologies to Matt if I'm
> wrong, but the real Matt hopefuly appreciates us being cautious :-)

whois dragonflybsd.org
        Created on: 14-JUL-03
        .... Whois Server:whois.dotster.com
        ... www.dotster.com/help/whois
        .... 1 page didnt respond, 1 wanted a login & password !
Hmm, typing this command a second time I nopw see extra info:
Registrant:
   Matthew Dillon
   41 Vicente Rd
   Berkeley, CA 94705
   US
   Registrar: DOTSTER
   Domain Name: DRAGONFLYBSD.ORG
      Created on: 14-JUL-03
      Expires on: 15-JUL-05
      Last Updated on: 14-JUL-03
   Administrative, Technical Contact:
      Dillon, Matthew  dillon at backplane.com
      41 Vicente Rd
      Berkeley, CA  94705
      US
      510 848 9745
   Domain servers in listed order:
      APOLLO.BACKPLANE.COM
      NS.IDIOM.COM
      NS2.IDIOM.COM
I've a feeeling I didnt get that first time. ?

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=dragonflybsd.org
        WARNING: You only have 1 MX record.
        WARNING: All of your nameservers (listed at the parent
        nameservers) are in the same Class C address space, which
        means that they are probably at the same physical location.
nslookup 69.2.200.182
        Name:    host182.69.2.200.maximumasp.com
        Address:  69.2.200.182

whois backplane.com
   Ballistic Electronics (BACKPLANE-DOM)
   41 Vicente Road
   Berkeley, CA 94705
   US
   Domain Name: BACKPLANE.COM
   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Dillon, Matt  (MD631)             dillon at BACKPLANE.COM
      Ballistic Electronics
      891 REGAL RD
      BERKELEY, CA 94708-1351
      US
      +1 510 848 9745
   Record expires on 25-Dec-2003.
   Record created on 16-Sep-2002.
   Database last updated on 17-Jul-2003 10:23:59 EDT.
   Domain servers in listed order:
   NS.IDIOM.COM                 216.240.32.66
   NS2.IDIOM.COM                216.240.32.74
   APOLLO.BACKPLANE.COM         216.240.41.2

Maybe it's real ?

Just in
> From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at portaone.com>

> No, everything seems real - at least Matt replies to e-mails
> sent to him on this topic. There is also a live nntp server
> up and running @ dragonflybsd.org, I saw Matt and Terry Lambert
> discussing kernel things this morning there. I doubt that somebody
> will be able to impersonate both Matt and Terry. :))

Oh, good, we can concentrate on the merits of Matt's plans then, Thanks.
Sorry for doubting it was you Matt.  Past trolls sewed seeds of doubt!

-
Julian Stacey       Freelance Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
  Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !   Schnupftabak probieren.