``Resource temporarily unavailable'' in vi

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Mon Jul 14 15:42:32 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 06:08:32PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Every once in a while, a vi-session dies on me with:
>
> 	input: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> What does it mean, why does it happen, and how can I prevent it?

I suspect vi's not handling an EAGAIN error return.  I get this on
-stable when ripping a cd with grip/cdda2wav.  Are you doing something
that runs at very high priority when it happens?  Judging from the
comments in /usr/src/sys/errno.h, it could also be that there is a
resource deadlock and vi is not translating the errno correctly.
Anyway, pending a fix in vi to handle retryable errors, the workaround
is not to do whatever it is that you're doing at the same time.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.