Bug filing broken?

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. bsder at allcaps.org
Sun Jul 13 15:40:20 PDT 2003

I tried to file a bug for one of my -CURRENT machines using send-pr and
got the following result back:

>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
><FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org>
>    (reason: 450 <taz.allcaps.org.>: Helo command rejected: Host not found)

Presumably this means that the mailer is trying to reverse lookup my
hostname, and it doesn't exist.  That's true, as I have been experimenting
with this stuff behind my firewall on my private net.

Fine.  I'll file a bug via the web interface.

Go to:

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

>The web-based bug interface is currently disabled.

This is annoying.  A user is already peeved that FreeBSD has a bug, and
now the bug sending mechanism has a bug.  In addition, the web bug
submission is offline.

The send to FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org should not have failed in the
first place.  Even if FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org needs spam
protection, all of the emails coming into it have a signature which makes
spam analysis incredibly easy.  Please reopen FreeBSD-gnats-submit so that
it accepts all input and rejects based upon content.

Another idea is to rewrite send-pr so that it submits bug reports directly
to a port on a server somewhere.  Using port 80 and a dedicated receive
server would get around firewalling issues.

The alternative is to reopen the web form.  However, I find send-pr much
more useful (less cutting and pasting).

Submitting a bug report should be the easiest, most robust and error free
task the system carries out.

Thanks,
-a