Regarding VMWare 3.0 Port and an odd bug that i've been getting over and over again...

Scott M. Likens damm at fpsn.net
Sat Jul 12 10:44:11 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 08:00, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On 11 Jul 2003, Scott M. Likens wrote:
>
> > I've been using VMWare in 5.1-RELEASE for quite some time and such, and
> > have ALWAYS gotten this bug and haven't been able to figure out exactly
> > why it does this, but it requires me to reboot.
> >
> > Anyhow here's the layout of the system.
> >
> > P3 800Mhz with 512meg of SDRAM
> > AHA 2940U2W, Dual 17Gig Ultra Scsi 2's (LVD)
> > no IDE devices, IDE is normally disabled, Matrox G400 Dual head without
> > HAL.
> > Soundblaster PCI 512, (emu10k1)
> >
> > using waimea as the window manager (or kde doesn't seem to make this bug
> > better)
> >
> > using netgraph bridging, i have the RTC.ko loaded (that's another
> > nuisance i'd love to correct maybe when I have more time)
> >
> > I've tried reinstalling VMWare and even on a fresh FreeBSD install it
> > gives this error.
>
> Do you have VFS_AIO in your kernel (or the AIO module loaded)?
>
> (I don't use VMWare, just guessing by looking at your error message).

I wasn't aware of that module, Thanks.  I'll have to rebuild the kernel
because it's actually a 'option' not a simple kernel module.  But that
will make things happier.

now if the new scheduler would work with me better, so it doesn't stick
to 97% cpu I would be perfectly happy.

But alas, that is for another thread.
--
"I think we ought to be out there doing what we do best - making large
holes in other people's countries." - George Carlin