The upcoming GCC 3.3+ upgrade

Marcin Dalecki mdcki at gmx.net
Wed Jul 9 16:00:16 PDT 2003

Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:09:56 -0400
> Alexander Kabaev <ak03 at gte.com> wrote:
>

>>Unfortunately, importing a newer GCC means that we'll have yet another
>>ABI breakage on our hands.
>
> ^^^^^^^
>
> This should read 'API breakage'. GCC 3.3 is supposed to be binary
> compatible with 3.2.x.

Please consider ABI compatiblity anouncements between C++ compiler releases a
running gag which started at about version 2.95 release time. One thing for sure
is that even the changes between GCC 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 broke openoffice for me on
Linux at least. I don't even will start to talk about 3.2. and 3.3 on ARM...
:-).