usb mouse on ehci controller doesn't work

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Sat Jul 5 12:55:26 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 07:12:13AM -0700, Greg J. wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:06:08 +0100
> Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure I used to be able to use a usb mouse in earlier versions of FreeBSD,
> > but now whatever I try, I just can't get the secondary mouse (or primary, if
> > I don't configure the laptop mouse pad) to work.  When
> > I plug it in, it finds it and allocates it to /dev/ums0 (ums0: Logitech
> > USB Receiver, rev 1.10/13.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1.  ums0:  5 buttons and Z dir)
> >  but XFree86 doesn't seem to like it - the log file
> > is attached.  Also, moused doesn't show the
> > pointer when I run 'moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto'.  Has something in the ums
> > driver changed that X11 doesn't like, or have I not configured something.
> > Could it be that I've always used it on a computer with USB1 and there's
> > something about the usb2 I've now got that the logitech controller doesn't
> > like?   The lines from XF86Config are:
> >
> > SubSection "InputDevice"
> > 	Identifier "Mouse2"
> > 	Driver	"mouse"
> > 	Option "Protocol" "Auto"
> > 	Option "Device" "/dev/ums0"
> > EndSubSection
> >
> > I'm using -CURRENT which was cvsupped yesterday.
>
> Last time I heard.. 'ehci' still has issues.. maybe that's the problem.

ehci only suports  high speed devices - mouse device are still handled
by ohci/uhci as they typically are low/full speed devices.
ehci can influence probing order on companion controllers at kernel
start but there are no differences when the device is plugged in
later.

If you heard issues about ehci then I'm interested to hear too.

ticso at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de