RC1 packages

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 3 07:39:19 PDT 2003

If memory serves me right, "Jesse D. Guardiani" wrote:

> If I go ahead and install 5.1-RC1 now from ISO CDROM,
> will I have access to packages that are newer than the
> ones that come with FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE? Or will they
> be the same packages as 5.0-RELEASE? Or will I not have
> access to packages at all? (That was always the case
> when I would CVSUP and buildworld on our servers)

You probably want to be installing 5.1-RELEASE.  5.1-RC was a release
candidate, and had a few bugs that were fixed in 5.1-RELEASE.

> I ask because I need at LEAST XFree86 4.2.x for my laptop
> display to work properly with my ATI Radeon Mobility LY
> on my IBM Thinkpad A30p. And the last time I checked, I
> think 5.0-RELEASE only offered XFree86 4.1.x. And I'm not
> fond of compiling my x server by hand.

The 5.1-RELEASE package set contains XFree86 4.3.0.

The 5.0-RELEASE package set contains XFree86 4.2.1.

This was mentioned in the release notes for both versions, although
that was only because each version contained a more recent version of
XFree86 than its predecessor.

Bruce.