Updated ec-burst.diff patch

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 2 14:10:08 PDT 2003

On 01-Jul-2003 Nate Lawson wrote:
> Please download and try the new version.  It correctly implements burst
> mode to the best of the 2.0 spec.  Like the previous message, please
> report the appropriate dmesgs ("acpi_ec0*" and "EC Waited*") and any
> errors or regression.  I've tested "du -a /" while plugging/unplugging the
> power cable on my laptop many times with no errors.
>
> I haven't received any feedback yet.  This WILL hit the tree in a few
> weeks because it fixes known problems.  Test it now or test it then.  :)

This made my machine a LOT worse.  Previously I would occasionally get
failed EcRead's do to timeout reading the battery and thermal status after
the machine had been up for a while, but battery status still worked.
Setting the event_driven tunable made no difference.  With this patch, the
EC is very, very broke.  I now get spammed during bootup with a flood of
failures from EcCommand:

EC Waited max 16 cycles, event occurred
acpi_ec0: EcCommand: no response to 80, disabling burst mode
    ACPI-0432: *** Error: Handler for [EmbeddedControl] returned AE_ERROR
    ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.PX41.SECN.BEXT] (
Node 0xc3342260), AE_ERROR
    ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.PX41.SECN.MAST._S
TA] (Node 0xc3342320), AE_ERROR
acpi_ec0: EcCommand: no response to 80
    ACPI-0432: *** Error: Handler for [EmbeddedControl] returned AE_ERROR
    ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.PX41.SECN.BEXT] (
Node 0xc3342260), AE_ERROR
    ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.PX41.SECN.MAST._S
TA] (Node 0xc3342320), AE_ERROR

etc.  Also, my mouse now is acting up and the keyboard now drops
characters.  Battery status no longer works and neither does
thermal status.  Messing with the AC adapter does still work but all
the GPE's fail.  This has seriously hosed my machine.