PCM freezes the box

root at bofh.bg root at bofh.bg
Thu Aug 7 13:34:04 PDT 2003

Dear Sirs,
I have problems with my  5.1-Release and 5.1-STABLE boxes:
they freeze if I play anything different from audio CDs.
The cards are ESS 1938, options pcm is in the kernel.
If I try to run xmms/mpg123/KDE or any other application related
with artsd/esound/audiofile, the machines freeze, leaving not
a single chance to escape to shell and kill the process.
I have been beating my head for more than two weeks without
success. Please give any hints if possible.
TIA,
DVV