[MPICH2]Failed to ping mpd

James Stanley jamesstanley at bluebottle.com
Sun Jun 17 12:05:17 UTC 2007

I installed MPICH 2 out of ports on two of my computers (I'm going to put it
on more, but I thought it would be better to start with just two). On one
computer, I can type:

mpdboot -n 1

And an MPD starts, and I can execute MPI programs.
I have set up password-less SSH log on to the other computer, but when I type:

mpdboot -n 2 -v

I get the output:

[james at derek-the-great ~]$ mpdboot -n 2 -v
running mpdallexit on derek-the-great
LAUNCHED mpd on derek-the-great  via
RUNNING: mpd on derek-the-great
LAUNCHED mpd on larry-the-second  via  derek-the-great
mpdboot_derek-the-great (handle_mpd_output 374): failed to ping mpd on
larry-the-second; recvd output={}

I have got a .mpd.conf file, with a secret word in it, and an mpd.hosts file
with derek-the-great and larry-the-second in it. /etc/hosts is set up right,
and I can ping (normal ping, not MPD ping) between computers.
Any ideas what might be wrong?

James Stanley

P.S. Sorry for the long post...