WIP: Wi-fi Geolocation Provider

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Thu Dec 6 06:05:05 UTC 2012

It seems that Google's Geolocation Service lookups done using an
IPv6 address results in a location that is far, far, far away from
where you really are, and even lookups using IPv4 addresses are often
several km off.  Since I am increasingly running into web pages that
want to "help me better" based on my location, it seems a more
accurate lookup is needed.

So... I have knocked together a wifi_data_provider_freebsd.cc that
gets your list of wi-fi APs so that the geolocation lookup can be
done using the wi-fi AP information.

The wi-fi AP code was tested and works as a stand-alone program.

Now, I am not really a C++ guy and I am far from up-to-speed on
chromium's object methods and how to hook this in so the browser
actually finds and uses it.  I could use some help with that.

I've put what I have so far, and some additional details, here:

	http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/ports/www/chromium/files/

Anyone who cares to help integrate this into chromium, feel free to
grab the files from that page, and figure out what I've missed with
getting this properly hooked in.  Please email me with any improvements
you can offer.

	-jr