Chromium on FreeBSD presentation

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Mon May 23 19:12:50 UTC 2011

Op 23-05-2011 17:40, Evan Martin schreef:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM, René Ladan <r.c.ladan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I gave a presentation during BSDCan about Chromium, the sheets are
>> available here:
>> ftp://rene-ladan.nl/pub/chromium-bsdcan.pdf
>
> For what it's worth, we take privacy seriously and our bad reputation
> is not deserved.

It seems like I upset you, which was not at all what I intended.  I use
Chromium as my day-to-day browser both at work and at home.

> It is frustating to see you call out "spy code" in
> the header of a slide.
Too quickly chosen wording on my side. I think we can safely assume that
the audience, which were mostly BSD developers and BSD affiliates,
understands that the "spy" code is not related to that as found in malware.

> Features you mention on that slide, like
> geolocation, require the user to explicitly grant that information to
> the site that requests it (geolocation uses an infobar, sync you must
> first enable through the preferences, etc.).
True.

> The malware/phishing
> blocking code goes to great effort to avoid sending information about
> the URLs you're visiting.  Features like that, where there is a
> utility/privacy tradeoff, are clearly grouped together under a
> "privacy" heading in the preferences.
>
> Here's more about privacy in Chrome:
>   http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/chrome/google-chrome-privacy-whitepaper.pdf
>
> If you ever find any code that does something you find problematic
> from a privacy standpoint, I would love to hear about it.

I have removed the problematic sheet from the presentation.

René