Is synced data encrypted?

Evan Martin evan at chromium.org
Fri Jul 8 01:56:09 UTC 2011

I am not familiar with the code, but I believe:
- the sync protocol works over https only
- the data as stored on Google's servers is not encrypted in such a
way that Google can't see it
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=646b7f8602a91184&hl=en
(it used to be the case that your bookmarks would show up in google
docs, for example)
- recent versions of Chrome can use a local password to encrypt your
passwords before sending to Google