etymology of the emergency holographic shell

Jordan Hubbard jkh at mail.turbofuzz.com
Wed Nov 19 06:14:10 UTC 2014

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Royce Williams <royce at tycho.org <mailto:royce at tycho.org>> wrote:
>
> Random question ... does anyone know the history of why is it called
> the "emergency holographic shell”?

Ah yes…  Because I was watching “Star Trek Voyager” at the time, and the Emergency Medical Hologram <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)> (or “Emergency Holographic Doctor” as the character was more popularly known) was pretty much the only good thing about the show, so I paid homage to him when I created an interactive shell on a spare VTY that could be used to observe the install in progress and potentially rescue, or intervene “medically”, in an install going bad.  Like, say, when you fat-fingered your gateway address and saw from the progress bar that it was stuck trying to transfer from FTP media, you could use the EHS to quickly rectify that mistake and potentially save yourself a lot of grief in an aborted install.

So yes, a bit of now ancient Trekkie humor on my part, that’s all. :-)

- Jordan