Superstitious users and the FreeBSD logo

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Wed Nov 30 09:38:45 UTC 2011

On 30 November 2011 02:57, Brett Glass <brett at lariat.net> wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> I just got a call from the owner of a hotel for which we provide hotspot
> service. She says that a guest spotted the "Powered by FreeBSD" logo at the
> bottom of the login page, and was offended; the guest was convinced that
> either we or the hotel management "worshipped the Devil" and refused to stay
> at the hotel unless the logo was removed.

Just remove the logo.  The customer is always right.  You are under no
obligation to advertise FreeBSD.  It costs yo nothing to remove, and
it makes a huge financial difference to your customer.

In general, I never put "Powered by whatever" on anything.  Back-end
things should be invisible to end-users.