freebsd on rackspace

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 08:59:31 UTC 2011

On 15/07/2011 06:57, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I just talked to rackspace tech support on an other issue and they
> said they plan to offer FreeBSD as a option after the upgrade from
> Zend Classic to Zend Enterprise (ETA not known).... but they did say
> we as a client are free to overwrite any slice on the virtual disk and
> then use the console to configure GRUB to boot that kernel... any
> ideas on how to proceed from this general advice to an actual
> implementation? ..... they also said if we did get it to work before
> the Zend upgrade was complete they would use our solution as the
> standard one
I don't know rackspace's service, but if its xen or kvm in HVM mfsbsd is
proabably the way to go.
I just tested with a centos6 vm on a KVM hypervisor.
wget -O /boot/mfsbsd.iso http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/iso/mfsbsd-8.2-zfsv28-amd64.iso
yum -y install syslinux
cp /usr/share/syslinux/memdisk /boot

add the following to the bottom of /boot/grub/grub.conf
title fbsd
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /memdisk iso
        initrd /mfsbsd.iso

and make that the active entry in grub, and voila a freebsd system
running from a memory disk, with DHCP and sshd allowing a root login to
do what you want with the host system. As i said, I can confirm that
works on a Centos5 KVM hypervisor if starting from a centos6 VM, I
havent tested further.

The downside is that its DHCP not a static IP (I assume you can
recompile the mfsbsd image to do what you want it to.) and as I dont use
grub much i dont know if you can set the mfsbsd iso to be a one time
boot in case of issues.

you could also try
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2008-01-29-depenguinator-2.0.html
dont know if that still works.