Why aren't you using FreeBSD?

Hans Ottevanger hans at beastielabs.net
Sat Dec 3 11:35:00 UTC 2011

On 11/08/11 17:48, Alex Moura wrote:
> Why aren't you using FreeBSD?
> http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/why-arent-you-using-freebsd-178119?page=0,1

This article was "discussed" after being quoted fully out-of-context on
Slashdot shortly after it appeared.

Still, I think the original article is of a quite reasonable quality and
certainly deserves to be mentioned under "In the media" on
www.freebsd.org. Who do I need to contact for this?

Other valid questions that I often hear asked are of course "Why do you
-still- use FreeBSD?" and "Why are you moving away from FreeBSD?". A
discussion on the latter (and what to do about) it was conducted a bit
out-of-place on arch@ starting last August:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2011-August/011412.html

Up to now I have not seen a clear opinion or point-of-view stated by the
FreeBSD project "as-a-project", but I still see FreeBSD being phased out
by diverse entities at a fast pace, in application areas where it
traditionally was very strong (web, mail, etc.).

Kind regards,

Hans