CRM-ish systems anyone?

Michael Eubanks mse_software at charter.net
Mon Sep 13 09:06:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 20:00 -0500, Jamie wrote:
> I've been looking for a good CRM system, and I have to admit,
> I'm rather perplexed.
>
> Here's the jest of what I want the framework to be:
>
> * n-tier (a server process divorced from a web server, uses XML-RPC)
> * Zero support for mysql (postgresql only)
> * Preferably not PHP.
> * Easy to integrate with.
> * Should never, *ever* send mass email, under any circumstances.

Hmmm.

> Moreover, I'd really like it if the thing didn't try to do everything.
>
> I need a simple issue tracking system, I want the CRM to know about it,
> I don't want the CRM to *implement* it.
>
> I need a simple time tracking system, but I don't really want to have
> to poke through 15 unrelated CRM menus to start the clock and have a
> big complicated system to charge a client for 15 minutes of work. (I
> do need this thing to be "project aware" though)
>
> The way I'd picture this working is very much the way CVS or SVN does,
> a bunch of shell script "hooks" use stdio to sync with other tools:
>
>    plugins/project/get_client_projects.sh $client_id
>
> openerp looked really promising, but it seems to want to do everything
> and on FreeBSD anyway it crashes a lot. (don't know if thats the same
> with linux, I suspect it is)

Maybe. Is it possible to use openerp on a system like Windows? Hopefully
that doesn't make you cringe or anything. I just figure that if openerp
is what you're looking for, then it might be possible to get it to work.
The simplicity aspect is only in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, best
of luck.