FreeBSD Popularity

Rick N solarux at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 14:25:25 UTC 2010

> Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:49:23 -0600
> From: falkman at gamozo.org
> To: freebsd-chat at freebsd.org
> Subject: FreeBSD Popularity
>
> Hello there FreeBSD people,
>
> Why is it that FreeBSD is so far behind Linux in popularity? The fact
> that lots of companies are not very supportive of FreeBSD (ex. NVIDIA
> and ATI 64-bit drivers) is really starting to bother me. I guess I would
> like to have a bit of a discussion of what could be improved to increase
> the popularity of FreeBSD, as honestly I can do almost everything in
> FreeBSD that I can in Linux, so why can't FreeBSD thrive as much as
> Linux. Is it that it is harder to install/configure? Any opinions/ideas
> on this situation?
>
> -Brandon Falk

 I hate to get sort-of obvious as to one of many reasons why "Free"BSD will never be popular on the Desktop/Server for the masses,

but here goes:

"BSD was Bill Joy, initially," says McKusick. "He did the distributions and talked about them and pushed them out.

This was way back in the mid-70's. He also gave BSD its NFS, TCP/IP code, "vi", ...

 For you younger folk, Bill Joy later beame the "Founder" of Sun Microsystems.

If anyone's not sure what Sun was/is, then forget the rest of this, and just stay with Windows.

;)
 ..., and how much BSD code was in HP/UX, as well as, ...?

 All that and even more was way back then.

Of course even today, we all know what MacOSX's kernel is based on too.

 The "BSD License" made all of that, and more possible.

 Of all of these corporations, and many more not mentioned, its easy to see that they(the corporate powers that be)

 were NOT promoting us to use FreeBSD "freely", in fact they were/are selling us their own BSD,

and their hardware,...

 Also, any "history of corporate capitalism" will tell you why this is so, in every facet.
Obviously, "Big Brother" will never want you to use it without paying.

 This is why Windows, MacOSX is the most popular to most people ?

 THEY do not want "Free"BSD popular, because comparatively, that would mean(after you pay for your car), you'd get to drive it for free.

 -in as much as Ford,(who apparently has a patent for a "water engine"), won't/can't let "water" become the "Popular" Fuel for the masses.

 (Of all the above though, Bill Joy's Sun earned the right to do whatever he wanted.)

----------------------------------

 However, the commercial afterbirth's produced, and sold, because of FreeBSD make it very popular to "them" and us by design.

(...hence, MacOSX, ...)

 Free/Net/OpenBSD  will probably always remain much more "popular" to the real unix-ish coders(software\hardware developers),

than the average Joe, like u, and me.

 It's afterall their work, with a little help from our feedback, that keeps it goin'.

 -> But, summarily, and because BSD is legally, and whatever else MORE "Free" that Linux, it will never be more popular than Linux, on the Desktop/server.

:(

 In retrospect, I admit, FreeBSD became more popular to me because I learned how to use it first(before the Linux goldrush), and install it, still enjoying the fruits of those labours'.

 And yes though, what I really cannot understand is, -Why the heck did IBM pick RedFart/GPL*?, instead of FreeBSD/BSD Lic. ??? -and that, I would  luv to understand.!?

cheers.
Rick.