FreeBSD Popularity

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 01:06:24 UTC 2010

On Sun 28 Feb 2010 at 16:26:46 PST Brett Glass wrote:
>At 11:53 AM 2/28/2010, Jamie wrote:
>
>>        In BSD (DragonflyBSD,FreeBSD,OpenBSD) there is a real attitude
>>        problem, the idea seems to be "GNU sucks and you should use BSD
>>        alternatives".
>
>The problem is with the licensing. Those of us who are professional
>developers and develop commercial software cannot safely inspect
>GPLed code for legal reasons. This is why I and many other developers
>favor a completely BSD-licensed solution.

No, it's more than the GPL licensing, although that's bad enough.

GNU software is often bloated. Way too many commandline switches (using
an overly verbose syntax). Feature creep everywhere, not just on the
commandline.

It runs counter to the basic Unix philosophy of small, cooperating
programs, each doing one thing and doing it well.

If you don't understand that there's an aesthetic aspect to Unix, you'll
miss what a lot of people are complaining about with GNUish stuff.