ZFS ATA vs. ZFS CAM ATA performance on 8.1

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Jul 28 09:25:53 UTC 2010

Alexander Best <arundel at freebsd.org> writes:
> i just stumpled upon this article over at phoronix which benchmarks
> ZFS ATA vs. ZFS CAM ATA on freebsd 8.1 [1].  it seems read performance
> is really low when CAM ATA is enabled. i remember phoronix being
> famous for posting stupid benchmarks (RELASE vs. HEAD and
> such). however their benchmark results in this example seem to be
> valid.

I didn't look too closely at the details, but I don't understand why
they include gzip and lzma compression in a filesystem performance test.

BTW, the 8 + head tinderbox runs ZFS on an 64 GB SSD.  When I tested
ahci last October, I saw a 7% loss of performance with four paralell
builds.  I haven't tried a newer kernel.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no