Favorite method of saving jail disk space?

Jamie jamie at geniegate.com
Tue Jul 6 05:36:17 UTC 2010

Whats the latest and greatest way to save space when building jail
systems?

Quite awhile ago, I tried using a "base" and a sort of union filesystem,
but it crashed (plus, I wondered about filesystem performance with 2
layers)

And about QEMU...

I'm using freebsd in qemu here (running linux), but thinking about
switching back to freebsd.

Gentoo decided to bork my X11.. so I'm stuck with the same X11/ATI
problems I had when I went with freebsd the first time.. I've since
learned to "get around" them by.. get this..

Running X11 in a VNC environment, then connecting to vnc from
within linux to bypass the accelleration and yay! audacity works!

Kind of curious about freebsd hosting qemu, as opposed to freebsd
running IN qemu. I have to run other OS's sometimes, but I believe
I might put a "linux environment" in a jail.

Ever tried to give a (real) usb devices to an emulated OS to get the
emulator OS to handle the drivers? (I have a tricked out 24-bit
sound device that doesn't play well with unix-ish systems)

Jamie

--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
Perl * Java * UNIX                        User Management Solutions