"app store" for open source Unix?

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Sat Apr 10 11:41:56 UTC 2010

On 04/10/10 05:51, Programmer In Training wrote:
> On 04/09/10 21:54, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> <snip>
>> Now ... that is just way too much time for me. If I want an application,
>> I want to find it and install it within a minute.
> <snip>
>
> I really think that's asking for a lot. Phones and desktop computers are
> two totally different platforms. To expect the same behavior out of both
> is ludicrous.
>
> IME, most phones seem to run off some form of Java (I can't speak for
> the smart phones, I've never had one). Even my LG CU515's took upwards
> of two-three minutes to have an app installed (not including time to
> browse AT&T's app store for that model phone, time to purchase, and then
> downloading it).

I would like to note, though, that I wouldn't mind the other aspect of
this idea, though. A friendlier UI that at least provided a snapshot of
the site (and perhaps of the program in action) with a better
description would be nice. Especially if there was a search function
(think of Snaptic or RH's old RPM package manager from the 6.2 days).
With such a comprehensive list of ports, it would be nice. And since you
can apparently bring in non-ports sources via pkgsrc perhaps an option
to add even individual program pages that would automatically find the
package source (tarball'd, of course) so if you wanted to download it,
it would be as close to one-click as you would be able to get.

Just a thought.
--
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.