Problems With New Audio CD

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Thu Apr 8 15:09:42 UTC 2010

On 04/08/10 09:35, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Programmer In Training <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
>
>> I just received a new, never been unwrapped before I touched it, audio
>> CD (Santcus Real, Pieces of a Real Heart). I can play it via 'cdcontrol
>> play' but it won't play in VLC, Audacious won't recognize it, and
>> Asunder can't rip it (for my fair use copy).
>
> If you can play the disc with cdcontrol I would expect
> that you can also rip it without problems using cdda2wav,
> which is part of the port sysutils/cdrtools-devel.

That seems to be working, thanks. I still won't be buying any CDs from
this group.

>> Is this a problem with copy protection? If so, how would I verify that
>> (I don't think that such information would be printed anywhere).
>
> At least in Germany audio discs with intentional defects are
> usually marked as "copy protected" (or similar sounding nonsense)
> on the back and additionally lack the CDDA logo (as they don't
> comply with the standard).
>
> Fabian

Well, I don't see the CDDA logo anywhere on the printed material that
came with the disk and jewel case. Going to verify with another group's
CD just to be sure that such is printed on discs here.

--
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.