Problems With New Audio CD

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Apr 7 21:33:37 UTC 2010

Programmer In Training <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> writes:
> So it's safe to assume this CD is copy protected.

I have a couple of "copy-protected" CDs here that I bought by accident (I
wouldn't have bought them if I knew they were "protected").

They have two things in common:

1) They won't play in my HiFi DVD player
2) I had zero trouble ripping them (using iTunes on Windows XP)

I don't remember if I ever tried to rip them using FreeBSD or Linux.

So copy protection does not, in fact, prevent copying, but it does
prevent some legitimate use cases, even the kind of use cases that the
labels *do* want to allow.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no