FreeBSD anti-competitive activities

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Tue Apr 6 03:04:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Randi Harper wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM,  <deeptech71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:

>>> Just as soon as FreeBSD 8.0 came out, I downloaded a boot-only disc
.    .    .    .     .
>>> slicing/partitioning, recovery and backup tools, and also a loadable
>>> Mini Windows XP. I hoped I would be able to find out what happened.
>>>
>>> But guess what? Neither of the Boot CD tools were able to start up,
>> [...]
>>> sysinstall asked something new when I installed 8.0, something like
>>> "It is safe to use a disk geometry of 123/45/6789 on modern
>>> computers... Would you like to use this disk geometry?", I chose
>>> "Yes". Safe my ass. I guess my computer doesn't fit in sysinstall's
>>> definition of "modern".
>>
>> Reinstalling FreeBSD and chosing "No" seems to have revived the Windows
>> partition.
>

> I'm not sure why I didn't see the original email in this thread -
> maybe I saw the subject and figured it was a troll.
>
> Seriously? FreeBSD anti-competitive activities? I suggest you wear
> your tinfoil hat, because they are all out to get you.
>
> It's a problem with sysinstall & libdisk. File a bug. That's generally
> how problems are handled, not by claiming there's some sort of
> anti-windows conspiracy.

How does it go?  Attribute to incompetence, not malice?  I forget.  Don't
really mean to call you FreeBSD guys incompetent.  Maybe just a little 300
Spartans fighting off a million Persians.  Somebody made a boo boo-- oh
wait.. was it the guy trying to use sysinstall and not the folks who wrote
it?  Either way..